23 September 2013

Sometimes you like it slow and low

Well, guys.  I was going to participate in Vegan MoFo this year, but I've obviously missed the boat on that one.  I haven't really mentioned it here, but over the last few months I've moved (back) across the country, found a new apartment, and started a new job.  It's all just a lot of excuses, but there you have it.

I do want to check in today to make sure everyone knows about the new cookbook from Kathy Hester, Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You!  I was lucky enough to test for this collection of tasty recipes, and there are some real gems. I highly recommend the Yellow Lentil Stew (pg 108), the Lentil Quinoa Taco Filling (pg 113), and the Mushroom Tempeh Over Potatoes and Carrots (pg 150).  Of course, everything is a winner!  And you should know that many recipes have gluten-free, soy-free, and/or oil-free options, for anyone who follows those particular persuasions.

* Some tasty chili, Cincinnati style *
Most recently, I made the Wacky Cincinnati Chili (pg 100).  This chili was exactly the sort of recipe that slow cookers were designed for.  I threw the morning ingredients in ... well .. in the morning, and I promptly left to run various errands around town.  While out, I managed to forget that I'd put anything in the slow cooker.  When I got home, the whole apartment smelled amazing - a smell that lingered all day and all evening.  The chili was different from my typical chili fare, but especially delicious.  I served mine up Cincinnati style, atop a pile of spaghetti noodles, topped with onions and shredded cheddar Teese.  Kathy has shared this recipe on her blog, and I highly recommend you plan to make it soon.

If you haven't yet been lucky enough to get a copy of this great book, I have good news!  Kathy was kind enough to offer an extra copy of this book for a giveaway.  To enter, you can leave a comment on this post with your favorite thing to cook nice and slow (or your favorite thing to cook fast .. or something you've just been aching to get off your chest. Really anything at all!).  For additional entries, you can like Kathy's pinterest page or the Vegan Slow Cooker pinterest page (or do both for two entries).  If you do either of these, please come back and leave additional comments so that I can give you credit in the drawing.  I'll randomly select a winner on Friday, September 27.  Come back here on Saturday to see if you won!

Please enjoy these bonus photos of Derek trying the Wacky Cincinnati Chili.  Derek is a chili eater from way back, and he has some pretty well established ideas about what chili should taste like.  He seemed to be pleasantly surprised with the result!

* Derek was touched by an angel while eating this chili *

* This chili is officially approved by a
picky omnivore with very specific tastes in chili *

1 comment:

  1. You're alive!!!

    I think chili with noodles is weird, but that is what I grew up with. We used macaroni noodles though. I thought it was a Wisconsin thing. :D

    ReplyDelete