18 March 2012

An evolution of desserts

I've been on a minor dessert kick for the last month or two.  It all started when Derek was visiting me and wanted to make brownies.  We made the Fudgy Brownies (pg 128) from Vive le Vegan!.  I am a die-hard fudgy-brownie fan.  Cake brownies are just not worth eating, and forget about putting frosting on top.  Frosting is for cakes, not brownies, folks!  When Derek mentioned brownies, I asked if he preferred fudgy or cakey, and it took him a long time to decide.  It was nearly a relationship crisis, but he finally landed on fudgy, and so we avoided a major problem.  Anyway .. I've made these brownies a few times before, so I knew they would work out (and they did not disappoint).

Not long after the brownies were a delicious memory, desserts hit again.  After Derek returned to the Deep South, I saw Urban Vegan's recipe for blondies (was that really nearly a month ago? blargh.).  Of course I made this recipe with great haste, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  You will really be doing yourself a favor to make these blondies; it's a nice change of pace from brownies with the same kind of sweet tooth satisfaction. 

But that was not the end of my dessert adventures.  A friend from Seattle was coming to visit, so I thought I'd try to turn the blondie recipe into a scone recipe, incorporating an extra-ripe banana hanging out in my kitchen.  I attempted an old standby flavor combination - lemon poppyseed scones.  While it was a well-intentioned effort, it didn't quite turn out.  The moistness and crumb were good, but the banana conflicted with the lemon to give an odd sort of taste.  It wasn't exactly bad, but it wasn't good either .. so I'm not going to bore you with this failed recipe.

Luckily I found myself with another ripe banana laying around and thought I'd give it another try.  I stayed away from the lemon flavor all together this time, opting instead for a simple blueberry scone. This time I think I hit on something - the results are light and fluffy, with a good balance of sweetness.  I don't think these need a glaze, but you could easily make a simple mix of powdered sugar and water (or soymilk) to top them if you want.  I haven't tried these with not-dried (i.e. fresh or frozen) blueberries; if anyone tries that, please report back!

If you don't have a mini-scone pan, try this in a muffin tin.  I don't think that this would quite in a bar pan, because of the lack of oil.  I think it would get dried out in the time it would take to cook through, and the texture would be off. Again, if anyone tries it out, let me know.

* Sorry for the crummy photo .. I did my best. *


Blueberry Scones
Based largely on Urban Vegan's Smart Blondies
makes 12-16 mini scones

1 ripe banana
1/4 c applesauce
1/4 c yogurt
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/4 c all purpose flour
2 Tbsp soy flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c dried blueberries

Preheat oven to 400*.

Blend together banana, applesauce, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla extract (or mix very well by hand).

In a separate bowl, mix flours, baking powder, and salt until well incorporated.  Mix in the wet ingredients until just incorporated.  Fold in the dried blueberries.

Divide batter into mini scone pan (I did 14 mini-scones, but you could easily do as few as 12 or as many as 16).  Bake for 12 - 16 minutes, until scones are lightly browned on top and spring back after a light touch.

And just a reminder: This is why you should always check your oven before you preheat.
* source *


4 comments:

  1. That's funny. I made lemon poppy seed cookies this weekend too. They were not great. I've tried them several times (and muffins as well) and I just can't get the flavor right. I think zest is the key and I never add it out of laziness and lack of real lemon.

    Maybe I need to try hiding in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a mini scone pan before, and though I'm not quite sure what it is, I kind of really want one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I need a donut pan and mini scone pan lol, wonder if they would work with coconut flour??

    Nicole <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never baked with coconut flour. If you try it, let me know how it is!

      Delete