22 January 2012

Only adults can really appreciate snow days

Last week, it started snowing Tuesday night. Wednesday morning, I left my house intending to go to work, but only made it about a mile before I was too worried about the roads to continue on; I returned home hoping to figure out what to do from there. At 11:00, work let out because of poor road conditions, and the lab remained closed on both Thursday and Friday.  As a kid, I didn't get a lot of snow days, but I know I wouldn't have appreciated them nearly as much as I did the three days I had off last week.  I accomplished some serious lounging in those few days (and a bit of work, too).
* I got about 5 inches of snow on my patio *
* This is as far out as I got for almost three days *
Luckily, I picked up my half of a CSA box on Tuesday evening, so I had plenty of good veggies.  I lucked across this post by TofuMom on the first day of my captivity.  She gives a basic recipe for an excellent-looking split pea soup, and it seemed just perfect for a blustery snow-covered day.  I had to use yellow split peas, because that's what I had on hand. I also used onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, turnips, and garlic.  Before serving, I stirred in a good amount of spinach and let it cook a bit.  This soup is so easy and delicious, it doesn't even need much in the way of spices - I only used salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to season mine. 
*A little ray of sunshine during an otherwise cloudy few days *
I enjoyed a big pot of this soup for most of the meals I spent at home; on Friday afternoon, I ventured out to the grocery to try to get a few more staples (and mostly to relieve a bit of cabin fever).  Most of the streets in Richland were cleared, but for some reason the streets in my neighborhood haven't been plowed or cleared at all. So most of the drive is fine -- the last quarter mile, however, is quite a doozy. 

Last week, I never would have guessed I'd say this, but I'm ready to get back to work tomorrow! Hopefully I can wind my way back to a main road with minimal slipping and sliding.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I do miss snow days. Good hearty soup is a great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super easy and very warming. It'll definitely be in my regular rotation now!

      Delete
  2. Pretty snow pictures. I bet you that gorgeous soup warmed you right up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow was really beautiful. Unfortunately, I am too much of a cold-weenie to get many good photos!

      Delete
  3. Everything was closed here for three days, too. I think kids love snow days, but adults love them more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two friends of mine from TN moved to Seattle last week, and they drove through my area over the weekend. They had to drive Snoqualmie, and apparently it wasn't very clear. I'm afraid I won't be able to visit Seattle for a few months!

      Delete
  4. That soup looks so yummy! ^^ And we haven't had a snow day in a long while now - but I totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were the first I've had in at least a decade. Man, it is good stuff!

      Delete