28 January 2012

I've topped Everest.

I remember the first time I saw the Windows game Minesweeper.  I was at a friend's house (hey-o, Katie Q), and her dad was playing some boring-looking game on his computer.  While he explained it to me, little did I know how this game would taunt me for the next fifteen years. I started with the easy mode, just 10 mines in a small field .. no problem (in fact, I once won this level in 0 seconds by choosing the exact right square to start on. Of course, my mom deleted my score .. but it still stands! oh, how it stands.)! Over the years, I slowly worked my way through the levels, forgetting about my mission to sweep the mines for a long time (months, even years) then suddenly wanting to try my hand at it again.  And so it went, over and over.  All that time, though, I never mastered the "expert" level -- 99 MINES! Well, folks, I'm here to tell you that it can be done.
* To have accomplished so much at so young an age *
And done again.
* And then to have done it twice ... Is there nothing this girl can't do! *

Thank you, thank you. I will be accepting accolades and awards for the next week or so to commemorate this accomplishment.  (Yes, each game took more than 10 minutes to win .. but what better way could I have spent those ten minutes? I ask you, what better way!)

6 comments:

  1. Kudos! A better way to spend your time? Over 20 minutes on two games = a delicious batch of cookies. No one loses when cookies get involved, especially your cookies! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, minesweeper. How I miss that game since giving up the PC. That is really the only good thing about PCs. And I've one the 99 mine level a few times. I'm not ashamed to say that I was positively glowing afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huzzah! I haven't played that game much, because I find it very hard on a laptop without an external mouse. But thanks for reminding me of a great way to spend my time while I'm on my work computer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enormously impressed, as I'm very bad at Minesweeper. Giving up Dr. Mario for Lent ...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Minesweeper! It's not on any computer I regularly use anymore. :(

    ...and I was getting so good at it.

    ReplyDelete