12 December 2010

You say Aubergine, I say Eggplant.

My Indian friends call it Brinjal ... but that's neither here nor there.



More often than not, it seems that I take my most interesting recipe adventures when I realize that something I bought on sale at the market ages ago is about to go bad.  When I open the fridge and see such-and-such-that-was-on-sale-last-week is starting to get soft or bruised or discolored, I go to the interwebs for some vegetable salvation.

Just this situation occurred about a week ago when I realized that the eggplant I bought for just a dollar the week before was dangerously close to suicide by fridge.  Luckily the blogosphere had just the solution for my problem: Basil Eggplant Balls!  With a name like that, how could I go wrong?

I basically followed these directions for roasting eggplant in my oven.  Then I dumped everything in my blender and whirred it till it was a nice, elastic ball of eggplant dough.  In retrospect, this might not have been my best idea.  I think I lost all the benefit of the breadcrumbs by blending them in.  If I make this recipe again, I'll experiment with the breadcrumbs for better texture.


I also chose to deep fry the balls instead of pan frying them because I have a very difficult time pan frying things without getting the fire department involved.  As you probably all know, eggplant soaks up oil like nobody's business.  If you decide to deep fry as well, make sure your oil is as hot as possible so that your balls will cook quickly and soak up less oil.  Next time, I will try to bake these bad boys for a much more reasonable healthful factor.


Deep fried balls, ready for eating (after a brief cool-down anyway).


And finally, dinner!  Whole wheat pasta topped with tomato sauce and eggplant balls with a side of warm, toasty garlic bread.  Never let anyone say that vegan food is healthful food.  But it is delicious, damn delicious.


Should you find yourself with an extra eggplant reaching maturity in your fridge, I highly recommend this recipe.  If you do try this recipe out and you use a different cooking technique than deep-frying, please let me know how it goes!

This is my second entry into the current Blog Bites event at One Hot Stove.  Check One Hot Stove for the wrap up at the end of December.

6 comments:

  1. I saw that recipe and bookmarked to try it. Can't go wrong deep-frying, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful use for eggplants. They are always available from the markets here, and I'm always looking for ways to use them. Now I can make balls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is just too much- fried eggplant balls? Thanks for a most mouth-watering entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i suck at making eggplant...too mushy, too rubbery, a vat of oil that it soaks up...i need to try harder b/c this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cuteness of that illustration is killing me! I don't often cook with eggplants because I have no idea what I'm doing, and they usually come out bitter and twisted. I love eating them when someone else does the cooking, though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want some deep fried balls (we both know I need more balls in my life)! When can I come over? :)

    ReplyDelete