02 May 2010

let a little sunshine in

I was honored recently by Miss Kara Hadley with a Sunshine Award.  She has a really great blog about her adventures with veganism in college.  I have to say that I do not envy her fighting the good fight in school cafeterias, but I definitely suggest you check out her blog for a good read.


In keeping with the sunshine theme, I'd like to give a short, non-exhaustive list of other things that have brought sunshine in my life recently.  So, in no particular order:

1. My cat, Lillith Cheetarah (Lilly)
*my amazing kitten eight years ago*


*The majestic cat she's grown in to*

2. The great weather and my new, free bike!  My friend, Everett, just happened to know about an available bike that I could have a few weeks ago, and I've been loving it ever since! I got a cute basket so that I can ride to the grocery and pick up a few things.  Of course, I have a helmet to keep my noggin safe while I'm whizzing around Knoxville.  And I've ridden to school (once ...); I'm hoping that I can ride to school every day this summer and save the $70 on a parking pass.  Oh, and look how pretty :)

*The purple one is mine and the silver one in the back is Derek's, so we can ride together*

3. The start of the CSA! Woo hoo, this is the first CSA I've ever been involved in, and I am super excited! The first pick up was this weekend.  This week, I got lettuce mix, arugula, spinach, swiss chard, chocolate mint, radishes, green (and red!) onions,  and a container of pre-fixed asian slaw with a great little cup of (vegan) dressing.  This week is pretty heavy on leafy greens, but I'm excited to see what comes up in the next 11 weeks.


4. Recipe testing for Carla's upcoming Vegan Bakesale cookbook.  I've mentioned it a few times before, but here are some more amazing recipes I've tried out (and remembered to photograph ... there are so many more that I forgot to take pictures of. Seriously, guys, buy this book as soon as you get a chance!).

Rosemary and Zucchini Focaccia 

Currant Squares

Seed Cookies

Cheezy Straws

5. And, finally, these great bloggers, who have brought untold sunshine into my life, and on whom I bestow the "Sunshine Award"!  Thank you so much for the laughs and recipes.

Thanks for all the great reads, ladies! 

12 comments:

  1. I second purchasing the book! So far, all of the recipes I've tested have been great.

    And your cat... I think that Rick would disagree. Lol! She is cute, even though I can't pet her just yet. I'll have to look for some nice kitty treats for her while I'm in Seattle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilly is ADORABLE! And the currant squares... I want one!
    Thanks for honoring me with the award; I think YOU definitely deserve it. You've certainly brought sunshine into my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new bike! (and can't beat "free"!) ;)

    Thank you so much for this sunshiny award! I'm honored to be included in your list of bloggers. And I must also check out the couple that I haven't read yet! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. hooray for kitties! and bikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. thank you for voting for my mushroom steak on the Blog Bites contest over at One Hot Stove. I was happy to discover your blog through it. I'm gonna have much fun trying out many of your vegan recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this sweet award- you are so nice! And it makes my day to know that you enjoy my blog.

    I loved reading this post; you are so inspiring with the biking to work and CSA share. And the kitty is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Looks like you've got lot's of sunshine in your world! Score on the bike! Very cool. Way to go on the CSA sign up! Love fresh mint. All of your goodies look super yummy! :p I'll have to look into the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Photos are great!!
    You're a super tester and I've been so grateful to ahve you involved in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitty is too cute! Your eats all look tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg i want ur kitty!! so cuteee!! i wanted to participate in a CSA this year in Michigan but unfortunately I went home to NY and they only do it in the summer months :( I love those leafy greens they look so fresh!!

    Thanks for the kind words on my post. Im really hoping to show them that being vegan is healthy and to squash that whole "not enuff protein/calcium/etc etc" mumbo jumbo. Being away and living on ur own definitely makes the vegan thing i nonissue tho but hopefully i can find a way to show them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your cat is one of the cutest cats i've ever seen...loove it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. bikes, kitties, and food, woohoo! this is a great list, and inspires a post.

    ReplyDelete