28 March 2010

just the corndogs.

My boyfriend has told me many times how delicious corndogs at Denton's drive thru are.  I don't think I ever had the opportunity to eat at Denton's in my pregan days, so I have no idea how true his assessment is, but all the talk about corndogs has given me quite the hankering.  I don't know if frozen vegan corndogs exist, but I do know that they don't exist in Knoxville.  So I've been quietly suffering my lack of corndog for weeks now, possibly months.  But how to remedy this?  Joni to the rescue!

We are all lucky to have Joni Marie Newman making vegan recipes for us to enjoy, such as Cozy Inside, Just the Burgers, 500 Vegan Recipes, and the upcoming Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions.  Joni was nice enough to share a few recipes from the newest book to get us all excited for its publication.

Not having much patience, I decided to try out the vegan corndog recipe now instead of waiting for the full book.  I want to say at the outset that I've not made a ton of seitan or seitan-based recipes yet.  I love seitan, but I never think to make it and have had very mixed results in the past.  Despite some serious failures, I decided to persevere with the All American Hot Dogs instead of buying some at the store.  Since I'm all alone here, I only made half the hot dog recipe.  Each of my four hot dog packages "exploded" a bit in the oven.  My big advice on this one would be to wrap it up in several layers to try to avoid it.  Even with the shoddy packaging, the hot dogs all ended up mostly hot dog shaped (mostly ... poor guy at the bottom).


After your hotdogs are ready, just mix up some beer-cornbread-batter.  I used an IPA for my beer, and I think it was a mistake.  It's a very distinctive taste, and probably not the best one for this application.  You live, you learn.


Once your hotdogs are fully coated in cornbread batter, dip them into the fryer until brown and crispy.  I had to cut my dogs in half so that I could fit them in my small fryer.

* Got this little beauty for $5 on craigslist. I love that site *

Finally you've got some 100% homemade vegan corndogs!  No matter what you may think about this much effort going into a corndog, the end result is tasty and satisfying.  I definitely need to keep working on my seitan-making skillz.  And I think the hot dogs could have benefited from a touch of salt and possibly some pepper.  But all in all, these are great.

This valiant effort at vegan corndogs is my first entry in One Hot Stove's Blog Bites Challenge for this month.  Yes, that says "first" entry.  I'm hoping to find a nutburger recipe to rival the one at Sunflower Natural Restaurant in Fair Oaks, CA.  I was lucky enough to eat there once in 2008 and I've been thinking about that burger ever since!  If anyone has any insight into the secrets of this burger, please let me know.

12 comments:

  1. funny that you posted this tonight. i was supposed to eat vegan corndogs for dinner, but it didn't work out.
    this look adorable.
    and fyi-trader joe's sells frozen vegan corndogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. I don't have a trader joe's here. I have been on a campaign for the last six years or so to get one in Knoxville. But apparently a letter a month is not enough :\

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh my goodness. I have been CRAVING vegan corn dogs in the WORST way this week. I used to love the morningstar corn dogs, however I 1) am unsure if they are vegan, because 2) I cannot find them anywhere! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Corndogs how do I love thee, let me count the ways!
    Morning star is not vegan...eggwhites....kommies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you went through all that work! impressive!! Your sushi party post just launched an intense desire for sushi in me. Too bad it's 1: 30 in the morning..I can't do anything about this craving haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a genius! I was just talking about vegan corndogs the other day, these look fantastic. Have to make them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic post! Thank you so much, you always come up with awesome entries :)

    I can't believe you made that entire corn dog from scratch, and the last picture looks so crisp and tempting...you're killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks fantastic, and I will have to make them soon. But I love veggie burgers even more, so I'm very curious about "Just the Burgers." Is this another cookbook she's working on?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @anonymous - I actually got to test for Just the Burgers ages ago, but as far as I can tell it hasn't been published yet. It was shaping up to be an amazing burger book, so hopefully it'll be out soon. I'd recommend watching her site to see when it's available: http://www.joninewman.com/books.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. zomg, I haven't had a corn dog in so long. Seriously impressive that you made the hot dog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No WAY, vegan corn dogs?? I need to make these!! I could even trick my Man into having them! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow....this is a winner recipe! I cans see you use frydadd. Was thinking of buying it. Is it easy to maintain and clean?

    ReplyDelete